Commercial transportation is increasingly facing driver shortages and challenges. Indeed, fleet management requires accountability for seamless fleet services and a driver retention module with high turnover rates.
Alongside good pay and fair practices, improving driver retention with fleet management technology is the solution for commercial trucks in the transportation business.
Why is Driver Retention Crucial in Commercial Fleet Transportation?
Driver retention addresses two essential issues in the commercial fleet business:
According to the American Trucking Association (ATA), driver turnover rates for commercial fleets are consistently high due to factors such as “a robust freight market,” “a competitive driver market,” and an increase in carrier freight services seeking drivers.” However, individual carriers experience turnover rate challenges when retaining talent during driver shortages.
Driver shortage presents a problem in the United States supply chain. Coupled with rising demand for transportation and shipping constraints for goods, driver shortage causes delays and surges in prices. Further issues include truckers quitting jobs for better wages and working conditions. The shortage challenges present actionable insights to fleet companies aiming to retain drivers.
The Benefits of Using Fleet Management Technology
Fleet management technology seeks to enhance efficient commercial fleet operations and management for customer satisfaction and driver retention through the following:
Process Integrations and Automation
Automation enables integration with other departments, such as sales, marketing, and customer relations. The automation processes directly link to drivers by facilitating the following:
- Behavior insights, communication management, and improvements.
- Workflow efficiency; driver inspections, fuel reports assessments, delivery records management, and more.
- Maintenance for driver documentation and records.
Fleet management technology provides invaluable operational management assistance through key performance tracking measures in the following:
- Maintenance costs, inventory, and diagnostics
- Driver management and performance evaluation; route adherence, driving habits, and more.
- Vehicle monitoring and total operational costs; initial acquisition, fuel costs, taxes, and maintenance.
- Fleet managers can optimize operations which benefits drivers as well.
How Does Fleet Management Technology Improve Driver Retention?
Commercial truck drivers and Fleet managers unanimously agree that work operations have a positive overhaul when technology integration is present. The technology improves driver retention by:
Improves Driver Efficiency
Fleet managers use technology to increase driver efficiency and encourage better rapport with drivers. Precise methods to achieve engagement will vary across carriers and fleets, with the most common practices including the following:
- Maintaining better communication channels: Technology helps to maintain employee satisfaction by encouraging open communication strategies and offering assurance to drivers that their concerns are factored in.
- Set productivity goals: Managers use technology to set tangible targets for drivers, including incentives for efficient drivers. It helps in keeping drivers motivated and engaged.
- Recognize and Award Excellence: Fleet managers implement technology in awarding drivers’ excellent performances. Recognition boosts driver’s morale and engagement. Commercial truck managers understand that drivers who ever feel unappreciated often seek more appreciative workplaces.
Promotes Drivers Safety
Commercial truck managers acknowledge that the safety of drivers is paramount. Technology offers integration services that make for easy, better, and safe workplaces by:
- Monitoring driver behavior: recklessness is easily identified and corrected using fleet management tracking. Managers can perform timely interventions and guide and coach drivers on dangerous driving using dash cameras and tracking.
- Timely Vehicle Management: Technology enhances proactive vehicle maintenance. Vehicle diagnostics allow for reactive maintenance and reassure drivers of their safety.
Rewards Driver Performance
Fleet management technology recognizes the driver and improves driver retention. Trackable metrics include:
- Delivery timelines
- Registered safe miles driven
- Route adherence
- Customer reviews
Commercial truck drivers become highly motivated where incentives are present, improving driver retention. Drivers will remain in a job position that they believe is more beneficial.
Fleet management technology improves driver retention by promoting driver safety, enhancing driver performance recognition, and informing on best practices for increased driver engagement.
Are you interested in learning more about how fleet management technology increases productivity, improves safety, and creates better fleet management integration solutions? Contact us today, get a quick custom quote, and have one of our fleet management advisors guide you.